Friday, June 30, 2017

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast......(thats for you cousin Derek)

Here I am.
Sat at Dubai airport in the CNN lounge, which is a surreal place. They have done a cafe/restaurant out like being in the CNN news room. It has wifi, plugs and comfy chairs where I will be sat for the next couple of hours as true to form I have got to the airport ridiculously early.


This amidst sports cars that are for sale, Harrods and a multitude of other seriously expensive shops.
Heres me wondering, does anyone really come to an airport on their way to a family holiday or a business trip and then look at a Mercedes Benz or Lamborghini Diabalo and make an impulse buy for hundreds of thousands of pounds ?
Anyway amongst the glitz, glamour and gold I digress.
Seriously masses of gold.
This morning I had my final flight in the sim as an assessment for my competency to be a pilot on a global express and I'm happy that all went really well on a very busy flight between Zurich and Geneva.
Literally as soon as I had finished the flight I received details from my company letting me know they had booked a flight back this evening so that I could get home quick sharp, unfortunately I'm not getting to fly direct but it will mean that I am on home soil on Saturday morning.
I managed a quick swim in the pool to chill out for an hour and then finalised my packing to head home.
I'm not going to bore with too much about the sim session today other than to say I wasn't on great form after being quite ill last night, I think I must have eaten something dodgy as I was non too well through the night and only got to have about 2 hours sleep.
It did focus the mind somewhat at 6am when heading into the college to hit the sim but it was a good flight and all went well.
There were no major surprises which was good and I have been signed off at the end which I am really happy about and will be heading off to work on the real thing soon enough.
I feel absolutely knackered after a very busy month and I think I will reflect on it more over the coming days when I get back home and enjoy a nice walk with my wife and Harvey the dog and let the grey cells (not that there are many left) have a breather.
For the time being I will be happy to get back home unpack, unwind and enjoy a bit of reality.

Thoughts of the day:

  • I don't think I will eat the night before the next time I have an important flight
  • I really appreciate the help from my family and friends when I am away,  Naomi, Tierney, Mum, Dad, Ed, Derek, Julian, Andy to mention a few...... I am humbled by your support
  • I am shocked at how good the customer service is at Gulf Air to fly home, puts BA to shame
  • I will be happy not to have to miss my wife 
  • The nervous excitement I have about flying this new plane mixed with an intoxicating fear in the knowledge of how much it costs is a whole new feeling for me
  • In the words of Ace Rimmer from Red Dwarf........... 
  • Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast......



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done Stuart, a month of hard slog, now look forward to your new future, lots of love and admiration, Mom & Dad xx

derek the ozzie said...

https://youtu.be/gXYfnWRp1Q0

Pointy Pyramids and a windy Nile, back in Africa and a room with a view

The River Nile whilst on descent into Egypt Today was a good day in the air. Up early after a shockingly bad nights' sleep, unfortu...